Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP is a substance which is used to promote healing when injected into the body. Plasma is a component of blood that contains special factors or proteins to help blood to clot. It also contains proteins that support cell growth. Doctors and scientist have produced PRP by isolating plasma from blood and concentrating it.
The main purpose of PRP injection is to stimulate body to grow new, healthy cells and promote healing. PRP injection is widely use in Orthopedic to treat joint pain and other bone diseases. It is used to stimulate bone formation in spinal fusion surgery.
PRP therapy is mainly used to repair:
• Damaged cartilage
PRP injections are used for the treatment of common conditions such as:
• Knee pain or Knee Osteoarthritis
• Achilles Tendonitis
• Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
• Tennis Elbow
• Patellar Tendonitis
• Plantar Fasciitis
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) obtaining procedures:
• PRP is taken only from patient’s blood. The Blood is withdrawn from a vein in the patient’s arm and the blood is placed in a centrifuge. It is a machine which spins at a higher speed to separate the different types of blood cells.
• The doctor extracts the platelet-rich portion of the blood and injects this into the area of injury such as knee, hip, elbow and ankle.
• PRP does not only contain platelets in the concentrated layer of the “spun” blood but is also containing other important growth factors like plasma and some red blood cells.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injecting procedures:
• PRP injections are given immediately after the separation of platelets.
• PRP injection is prepared from patients own blood by an expert orthopedic surgeon. The entire procedure takes around 30 minutes.
• Some Orthopedic doctor adds activating agent like thrombin or calcium chloride while some just injects platelets. These concentrated platelets in PRP are helpful to improve the healing of bones and soft tissue injuries.
• PRP is injected to the area of injury with a needle guided by ultrasound machine. This allows doctor to precisely target the damaged tissue and help the body to heal.
• When treating osteoarthritis with platelet-rich plasma therapy a doctor injects PRP directly into the affected joint.
• Most Orthopedic doctors inject one PRP injection while some patients need series of injections over a span of several weeks.
The major goals of PRP therapy in the treatment of orthopedic diseases are:
• To Reduce pain
• To Improve joint function
• To make slow, halt or even repair damage to cartilage
Platelets Rich Plasma (PRP) is one of the most advanced therapies to treat and cure any complicated orthopedic diseases. Side effects after the PRP injection include mild pain and swelling. Patients can resume their daily activities as per the doctor’s advice. In this way, PRP therapy is completely safe and effective which brings exciting changes in patient’s future.
Arora Clinic, Shop No. 16, Block 2, Emerald Plaza, Hiranandani Meadows, Glady Alvares Road, Behind Standard Chartered Bank, Thane west – 400610
Contact: +91- 9326004795 /