The knee is one of the largest joints in the body. It provides us the flexibility to do daily activities like sitting, standing, walking, running with ease. Age related knee problems are common, however, due to changing lifestyle, younger people are also experiencing knee pains. This may be due to….
- Knee injury
- Nutritional deficiency
- Heavy intake of sodium
- Smoking or drinking
Here are some of the changes that may help to strengthen the knees:
- Do A Proper Knee Exercise: There are some exercise which are targeted on the knees especially. This exercise helps in strengthening the weak muscles around knee joints it also helps in strengthening knee bones. These exercise includes sit-ups, step-ups, lunges, squats, thigh contraction, knee bends, knee strengthening stretches, swiss ball, straight leg raises. Doing this exercises 30-40 minutes per day will help to strengthen the knee. Stop doing the exercise if knee pain increase and consult the doctor. Get a proper guidance on the exercises which are suitable for the patient.
- Massage: Massage therapy is best method known to get relief of knee pain. Rubbing warm oil (coconut oil, mustard oil, olive oil) on patient’s knees will help in improving proper blood circulation in the veins around the knees. Always massage 3-4 times a week for 10 to 15 minutes to get the better result. If the patient is suffering from extreme knee pain then consult a doctor and get help of an experienced massage therapist.
- Intake of Vitamin D: Vitamin D is known to be extremely beneficial for bones and joints health. Patient suffering from knee pain can get vitamin D from the sunlight. Hence exposing their knees in morning sunlight before 11 a.m. for 15-20 minutes daily is very much useful to decrease the further risk of trauma. Also, they can get the source of vitamin D from dietary source such as fish, cod liver oil, eggs yolks, dairy products and cereals.
- Calcium: Calcium is essential for bone health. Thus, to increase knee strength eat lots of leafy green vegetable, dairy products, cereals, almonds, oranges.
- Swimming: Swimming allows exercising of knees with low pressure on joints. It can reduce stiffness and pain from the knees and helps to strengthen the bones. Swimming for half an hour to one hour alternate days a week can help to reduce knee problem. If the pain continues and if the patient feels increase in knee problem then consult a doctor and take a proper guidance for the treatment
To book an appointment : https://www.practo.com/thane/doctor/bakul-arora-orthopedist-1
or call on: +91-9004900100